Monday, July 8, 2013

A Realization on Singing

  I've always had a fondness for singing. If you ever pass me in a car, there's a 99% chance you'll see me belting a song out along with the stereo. Or possible without the radio even. In the shower, in the car, in meetings when my mind wanders... I've usually got a song stuck in my head and I'm letting it out somewhere. This stems from all the way back when I was a young kid and I used to love to sing that Heart song "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You" and didn't at all understand why it made my family extremely uncomfortable. What parent doesn't want their 8 year old boy belting out lyrics like "he brought out the woman in meeeeee, so many times, easily!" in the middle of the supermarket?
  Unfortunately, just because I love to sing doesn't mean I can sing well. I've toyed around for years with the idea of taking a singing class to see if I was a lost cause or not, but I've always put it off. While I can be silly and bust out some terrible, high-pitched rendition of 80s hairband songs in front of people without an issue, the thought of actually trying to sing well in front of someone makes me all sorts of terrified.

  It hit me the other day though that I don't really know if I can sing or not. I know I can't sing other people's songs that well because I'm trying to use their voice instead of my own. I really have no idea what I actually sound like when it comes to singing. I only know I'm not a very good impersonator. I'm not really sure how you shift into your own voice without writing your own song.
  This realization made me again start toying around with the idea of taking a class. Who knows, maybe I have an amazing voice and just don't know how to harness it. Wishful thinking perhaps, but anything is possible. If I can ever get the courage to make the jump, I'll let you know the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment